There’s no hiding from the fact that we save our electronic information everywhere — in document management systems, file shares, SharePoint, Office 365, Teams, Box – plus any number of other line-of-business applications. And we have a big black hole where our Information Governance policy should be. We need to be better but where to start?
- G D
If it’s any consolation, you’re not alone. Plenty of firms’ lawyers struggle with finding the right document quickly given such digital proliferation and fragmentation. And Information Governance (IG) – a key component of risk and compliance – is supremely challenging if you don’t know what information resides where.
The ideal is to know precisely where something is so you can access it quickly and keep tabs on it effectively. But to get to that point, firms worry that they’d need to commit to the world’s biggest sort out of data, a digital purge and refiling on an epic scale – not something there’d be a natural appetite for even in the best of times.
That’s why we have a far more palatable and easier to digest solution: you can achieve logical, unambiguous centralisation and codification of data – the foundation of IG – without having to digitally shuffle any files.
The Pinnacle IG FileTrail platform provides:
- An integrated view across your firm’s information repositories, both electronic documents and physical records.
- Deep integration within your information ecosystem, allowing IG to happen ‘in place’ wherever documents are located
- The ability for lawyers and staff to stay in the application they use the most — such as Intapp, NetDocuments, iManage, Teams or SharePoint — and access the Matter Profile from there.
- Easy tracking and deletion – aligned to your retention policy – of high-risk documents coming in during new business intake, viz. items containing clients’ Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
- Connections to synchronise the information on documents and folder structure from major systems such as iManage, NetDocuments, OpenText eDOCS and file shares.
- Options for users to request retrieval and action the disposal of documents from within the UI of major systems.
- Access controls based on roles and responsibilities
- Flagging of personally identifiable information (PII) and other sensitive content.
For those not wanting to make a meal of their IG projects, please contact Brian Allan